Wednesday, May 18, 2011

*************Pin Recipe***************













What to do with those quilt scraps.
 







 This is the trim from a quilt I made using lace and silks and cottons, using what i call my aerobic sewing method. I snip and rip and then go to the machine and sew and then back to the table 
where I cut and trim with rotary cutter leaving frayed edges and then back to the machine to sew, then to the ironing board....



it's a work out really.




anyway, I find it difficult to throw these bits away and that's what started the pin making.
I've found that thinner fabrics work best. Trim to about 1 1/4" strips and then baste along one long edge....


























pull as you do so...




























until it forms a circle/flower and then secure with a knot and add embellishments to taste.





























Embellishment here is a crochet flower from hemp and an old button.




I like using those pin back/bale backs so you can wear it as a pendant if the mood strikes.







You can also do the same thing with ribbon....







I have some beautiful hand dyed silk ribbon  I used here with some more crochet and sweet flower and leaf beads.



















and...












for this one I folded the strip and added some beach glass and seed beads to the mix.









almost forgot...






I glue on a piece of scrap (canvas) and then glued the pin back to that but it can easily be sewn instead.











Possibilities:

Endless.


















2 comments:

  1. Marvelous tutorial!! Love the photos and 'wallpaper'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allene! I forgot the last picture, one of the back. I'll get it up here soon.
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete