Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Charmed I'm sure...
















"Do something, do something to that, and then do something to that."


Jasper Johns










One of my favorite quotes and one which I've utilized in almost all my creations.
It's how I build my quilts and collages.
  It starts with a generous collection of images and fabrics, papers and other flotsam and jetsam and takes off from there.
The most interesting thing to me is what turns up. As someone who likes to think her motivations, hopes, dreams, fears and wishes are clear, it's a reminder that such is not always the case. Our unconscious is just that and these little collages are glimpses into what lies just beneath the surface or in the deepest caverns.  It's why I love making them.

This is an old one, a simple nine patch quilt design gone rogue...

In looking back at old work like this I see that my love
affair with burlap has a long history. This was a scrap from a coffee sack machine stitched
onto black fabric, not the best choice as black fabric is a dust magnet! The nine patches are made from various papers and fabrics, hand and machine stitched onto the burlap with "charms" stitched onto those. Layers upon layers upon layers.


I do make things that don't involve burlap, I swear!


No comments:

Post a Comment