Wednesday, October 19, 2011

yesterday and today





Yesterday
it was Autumn.


There was a chill and the sky was gray all day. 
Time for something warm, spicy and soothing.



Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili

can I get an Amen!


olive oil
a small onion
3 or more garlic cloves
1 chipotle chili 
1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 cups of water or veggie stock
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 to 2 Tbls chili powder
1 teasp salt
1 medium butternut squash 
peeled, seeded chopped into small dice
3 cups cooked or 2 cans black beans
drained and rinsed.

Saute the onion, garlic and chipotle in a small amount of olive oil for about
5 minutes or so.  Add the tomatoes, water/stock, tomato paste, chili powder, salt
and squash stir gently, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook
15 minutes or so until the squash is tender but not mushy.  Add the beans and
adjust seasonings, simmer a little longer to blend the flavors.
Top with chopped avocado, scallions and sour cream if you like.
I like it with just the avo and some sliced bread. 
I've also made this and substituted sweet potato for the squash
and love that variation just as much. 


Today
it's warm and sunny. Summer.

It feels like a salad day.

Like maybe this Hot and Sour Fish salad.

It was SUPER tasty and even
better the next day wrapped in a corn tortilla.

My right hand is useless today.  It must be all the painting
I did this week and last.  So today I am
trying to use my left hand instead.

A good practice for breaking habits and patterns.

Each day a new day, a different season.

5 comments:

  1. I used to make a black-bean chili not unlike this but it had very, very small matchsticks of carrots in it. And roasted coriander seed, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imho, everything is better with cumin in it!
    We go through that stuff like crazy.
    Think I'll add that to the recipe.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued with the use of butternut squash. Sounds really good..now how to get my teen to not take the squash out. All your ideas sounded yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, I could never get my daughter to eat anything resembling healthy food!
    I was like that when I was a kid too. All I wanted to eat was French fries and baked beans.

    ReplyDelete